Friday, September 14, 2012

Improving my life one meal at a time!


Today while at Roots getting my grocery shopping done I stumbled into the magazine section (whoops!). I found the magazine "Clean Eating: Improving your life one meal at a time" [www.cleaneatingmag.com]. Of course I had to buy it!!! I love it, may have to subscribe. There is tons of recipes too!
Here is my favorite part, the eat-clean diet principles.
1. Eat more! Eat six small meals each day, spaced at intervas of two-and-a-half to three hours.
2. Eat reakfast every day within an hour of rising.
3. Make your last meal 3 hours before bed.
4. Eat a combination of lean protein and complex carbohydrates at each meal.
5. Eat sufficient healthy fats every day.
6. Drink two to three liters of water each day.
7. Carry a cooler of packed with clean foods each day.
8. Depend on fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, nutrients and enzymes.
9. Adhere to proper portion sizes (this is a HUGE rule).
10. Eat only foods that hae not been overly processed or saturated in chemicals, saurated and trans fats and/or toxins.
I love those rules but I think the most important ones are #6, #9 & #10. Of course they're all important but those are definitely huge ones. The water portion is huge though, because if I'm in between my mini meals and I start to feel hungry, I drink water and lots of it. It does fill you up! And I'm so used to drinking so much water that I find myself knowing when I'm thirsty much easier than before. And I love this photo to the right, but of course we're talking more than 8 (8oz) glasses, more like 12 (to equal the 2-3 liters).

Another article in this magazine is talking about "this seasons hottest supermarket find" which is the Watermelon Radish. I like normal radishes so I really would like to find some of these! They look hot too (maybe it's just because they're bright green & hot pink)! Supposudly, they are also known as the roseheart radish, beuty heart or red meat radish. And apparently it is an asian veggie, they had me at asian! It is supposed to be a bit stronger than a normal radish, sign me up!

There is an article teaching you how to make your own vinaigrettes and I am so down for that. The magazine suggests doing an oil, an acid, salt, pepper, two flavors and BOOM! THey list a few suggestions. I will definitely be making some of the following over the next few weeks:
Oil AcidFlavor 1Flavor 2
Extra-virgin olive oilWhite wine vinegarDijon MustardMinced shallot or red onion
Vegetable oilLemon juiceLemon peelpoppy seeds
Extra-virgin olive oilButtermilk + white wine vinegarFresh chives, dill, or tarragonFresh thyme or oregano
Olive oilBalsalmic vinegarminced garlicBrown Mustard

Sounds pretty good to me!

The magazine also has an easy, affordable weeknight dinners for just $50 section that has some great options! But thats everything that I wanted to share from the august/september issue. I'll be posting some of the recipes under my other blog (can see it up at the top banner as The Clean Eating Diaries). Until next time!

New fav photo from pinterest to the left!






No comments: